The Music In Africa Foundation’s website www.musicinafrica.net is easily the fastest growing information and exchange web portal dedicated to the African music sector, reaching thousands of people every day. With hundreds of contributors across the globe and thousands of musicians registered on the website, the publication has a reputation of providing reliable and useful information for fans and music professionals on the continent.
We seek a journalism intern to join the Music In Africa team at our head office in Rosebank, Johannesburg. The intern will learn about all aspects of online music journalism and will be required to research and write news and features about African music. The intern will also learn about content management and work closely with the Senior Editor.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who loves music and wants to learn about producing top quality content for the internet.
- Write news and features about African music
- Cover music events
- Moderate content generated by Music In Africa users
- Assist implementation of social media strategy
- Research, write and submit accurate biographies of African music operators (musicians, publishers, distributors, events, venues, marketing experts, music schools, etc.)
- Help create and send out bimonthly newsletter
- Performing other duties as may be required
- Be in the final year of studies or be a recent journalism/communications/media/English graduate
- A knack for the written word
- Interest in music
- Computer literate
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Punctuality and being able to follow instructions
If you are interested in this opportunity to kick-start your journalism career, send your CV, motivational letter and three examples of your writing (can be course essays/assignments) to Kalin Pashaliev (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 23. You can also call +27 (0)10 140 1317 if you have any queries. The internship will run for three to six months, depending on the availability of the candidate.
Remuneration: Negotiable transport and lunch allowance
Coacher: Senior editor