The Goethe-Institut Johannesburg is looking for a freelance administrative project assistant for a 4-month period from beginning September to mid-December 2017. The assistant will be working on the Henrike Grohs Prize for African Artists. In September and December it will be a half-time position and October and November a full-time position. The application deadline is 14 July.
The Henrike Grohs Prize for African Artists honours the lifetime achievements of Grohs, the former Head of the Goethe-Institut in Abidjan, who died on 13 March 2016 in a terrorist attack in the Ivory Coast. The award is designed to continuing her special cause to support African artists and make a contribution towards international dialogue and is a special project of the Goethe-Institut and the family Grohs. For more on the prize, see https://www.goethe.de/ins/za/en/kul/sup/henrike-grohs.html.
About the Goethe-Institut South Africa
The Goethe-Institut is the cultural institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with a global reach. We promote knowledge of the German language abroad and foster international cultural cooperation. We convey a comprehensive picture of Germany by providing information on Germany’s cultural, social and political life.
- Coordinating activities related to the special project, and reporting to the responsible manager at the Goethe-Institut South Africa.
- Assisting with the organisation and managing the implementation of related events.
- Performing the day-to-day administrative duties in regards to the project.
- Relevant qualification (e.g. Degree Administration, Human Sciences, etc.);
- Minimum two (2) years relevant working experience;
- Strong project management, coordination and organisational skills;
- Excellent written skills in English;
- Flawless attention to detail;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to work at the office space provided at the Goethe-Institut Johannesburg; and
- Non-South African applicants need to have a valid work permit for South Africa.
How to Apply
Send your CV and a short motivation letter to Vicky.Schirge[at]goethe.de no later than 14 July. The candidate would ideally start on 1 September 2017.
Workload: September and December: Mon – Fri, 20 hours per week, October and November: Mon – Fri, 40 hours per week. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you haven’t received a response by 28 July 2017.