In March 2017, RapidLion will host the annual South African International Film Festival at the Market Theatre complex. The RapidLion film festival screens films from the African continent, African diaspora and BRICS countries and aims to promote South African cinema into these territories, and introducing South Africans to films from these territories.
As part of the official programme of the RapidLion film festival, Brand South Africa will host a creative industry dialogue that invites local creative industry experts to provide perspectives on, and analysis of South Africa’s place in the African creative industry. The session will be preceded with a short overview of findings from Brand South Africa’s SA Inc. research into South Africa’s Nation Brand exposure to peer African markets.
Key objectives of this session will be to solicit input from creative industry experts on how to bring the payoff line to life through film and storytelling. This session will focus on two elements, being:
- The role South African film, television and music productions can play in creating
awareness of the Nation Brand, its strengths, diversity (at both cultural/heritage and economic levels); and
- Private and public sector support for the development of the creative industries.
Date: 11 March 2017
Venue: The Mannie Manim, Market Theatre, Johannesburg
Timing: 12:00 for 12:45 – 14:45
- Lungelo Kuzwayo, Film Directing, AFDA
- Bastian Hoehn, Television, AFDA
- Janine Raftopoulos, Manager: Communication and Public Education, Film and Publication Board
- National Film and Video Foundation (tbc)
- Wits School of Arts, University of Witwatersrand (tbc)