The Internationally acclaimed Forgotten Angle Theatre Collaborative (FATC) @ Ebhudlweni Arts Center in Rural Mpumalanga invites individuals who meet the criteria outlined below to apply for the 2017 intake of its annual Youth Artists Leadership Program, funded by Rand Merchant Bank (RMB) and the Department of Arts and Culture (DAC).
In 2017, FATC, funded by RMB and the Department of Arts and Culture, is able to award 8 fully sponsored positions in this prestigious year-long program to young people (18 to 30 years old) who:
- Are in a leadership position within a rurally based community arts organisation anywhere in South Africa, or are in the process of establishing their own rural arts programs.
- Have completed their schooling.
- Are actively engaged in Arts and Culture programs in their communities.
- Are dedicated to growing and developing their existing activities to further serve and uplift rural communities.
About the Programme
This is a program based on Leadership in the Arts with a strong focus on empowering youth in under-resourced rural areas. Themes will touch on contextualization of leadership in the creative and cultural industries, understanding entrepreneurship & the business of the arts, compliance and governance in arts organisations.
The project runs for 1 year and is made up of: 3 thematically focused modules, or Study Schools, that take place at FATC’s Ebhudlweni Arts Centre; a mentoring process; and the assignment and completion of written tasks.
Dr. Mongezi Makhalima is Managing Director of The Pretoria Centre for Work-based learning, Chairman of The Africa Board for Coaching, Consulting and coaching Psychology (ABCCCP) and currently holds a role a as the Chairman of the FATC. He is passionate about inspiring leaders and entrepreneurs and uses his 20yr experience of working with leadership and the psychology of organizations towards a sustainable Southern Africa.
Mr. David April is a Cultural Consultant who has shown great leadership skills as an Artistic Director, Teacher, Choreographer and Lobbyist in South African Dance.
Ms. Athena Mazarakis is the Development Manager at The Forgotten Angle Theatre Collaborative. She holds an MA degree from Wits University and has over 20 years of experience as a choreographer, performer and educator in the creative industries.
Testimonials from 2016 Intake
I’m very lucky to be part of this programme and I have a duty to make sure that whatever I’m taught here, I go and apply it and change the lives of other people, because my life is changing through this programme. – Ndumiso Mazibuko, KZN
Things are well-planned and organized. The facilitators know their work and the environment is good. – Mmakgabo Moloto, Limpopo
I feel blessed to have the opportunity to be part of such a programme, where I’m literally being handed all the tools that I need. Things that could’ve taken me five years to do on my own, I can now achieve within a few months or a year. – Nosipho Mkhize, KZN
I have learned that as an individual, I am unique. I have learned that I have more potential than I think…FATC is doing an amazing job and I am very privileged to be part of such an inspiring program. – Senzekile Ngomane, Mpumalanga
Programme Time Line
Applicants MUST be able to attend ALL WEEKEND MODULES.
- The program commences with the first intensive weekend module on the 25 – 26 March 2017 in Mpumalanga and be available to travel on the 24th and 27th March.
- Module 2: 29th – 30th July (Travel 28th and 31st)
- Module 3: 4th – 5th November (Travel 3rd and 6th)
- Dates for assignments and mentorship will be scheduled during the first workshop.
Application Process and Deadline
Applicants must submit their applications to PJ Sabbagha at email@example.com by no later than 5pm on Friday 3rd February 2017. All applicants must submit the following documentation via email clearly marked as “Application for FATC 2017 YALP”:
- Personal Details and Contact details.
- A Full CV.
- A description of the project you lead or are starting.
- If you are in a leadership position of an existing organisation, please include a letter from the organisation approving your application.
- A motivation letter.
- At least 1 reference letter.
- The 8 successful applicants will be notified by close of business on 28th February 2017.