The Visual Arts Network of South Africa is hiring a Network Programmes Manager and an Assistant. Both positions are based in Johannesburg.
VANSA operates as a support point and development agency for contemporary art practice in South Africa. We develop industry knowledge, resources, networks and projects that are concerned with realising new social, cultural and economic possibilities for contemporary art practice in the South African – and wider African – context.
Deadline for applications: by 4pm, Thursday 1 June 2017. Please state which position you’re applying for in the subject line of your email.
1. NETWORK PROGRAMMES MANAGER AT VANSA
The appointed manager will oversee projects related to network programming and development. These programmes are primarily focused on public and collaborative programming with arts organisations and practitioners around South Africa and the African continent. Key to this position is the decentralisation of creative practice and the co-sharing of professional and creative content. The position requires a strong multi-tasker with an eye for detail and the ability to work under pressure. The three key project areas of VANSA within this position are:
- Study and critical enquiry Programmes
- Decentralisation programmes
Overall Project Management
- Strategic Development of VANSA Networks Programme
- Contribution to the development of the annual Network Programme
- Establishment of partnerships and collaborations with strategic organisations and practitioners
- Research into required needs for Network Programme
- Identifying potential fundraising opportunities and strategies
Budget management including
- Development of budgets
- Oversight of expenditure and payments within allocated budgets
- Development of financial reports
Execution of project oversight tasks including
- Management of independent contractors assigned to specific projects
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Ensuring time management and project completion
- Developing narrative reports
- Travel in accordance with project requirements
- Strong ability to multitask and manage numerous projects at the same time
- An instinct for detail, accuracy and organisation combined with flexibility and an ability to think conceptually and strategically
- Experience in working with budgets and financial reporting, including working with spreadsheets
- Ability to work independently
- Strong written and spoken English language skills
- One or more additional spoken South African official language
- Good knowledge of the professional arts/cultural scene in South Africa
- At least 2 years experience in cultural project management and/or administrative work in the cultural field
- Relevant undergraduate degree/diploma in the arts, social sciences, humanities or commerce (or equivalent experience/training)
- Previous experience in cultural work in small towns/rural areas of South Africa and/or working on the African continent will be an advantage
- Between R14 000 – R17 000 based on skills and experience, cost to company.
- Fixed term 6-month contract with the intention to renew based on funding availability. 80% position based at VANSA offices in Johannesburg.
- The candidate would ideally be able to start work on 1 July 2017, this is however negotiable.
Send your CV and a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm, Thursday 1 June 2017.
2. ASSISTANT POSITION AT VANSA
This is a 1-year development position open to a young individual eager to get working knowledge of the visual arts sector. The appointed assistant will work closely with the VANSA team on all aspects of the organisation. The assistant will be trained to gain a comprehensive working knowledge and skills set to work in the arts sector. The position requires an adaptable person with a strong eagerness to engage in the organisation on multiple levels.
RESPONSIBILITIES (included but not limited to)
- Communications and online content
- Contributing to membership strategies
- Assisting on projects and exhibitions
- Contributing to general office administration and management
- Developing financial reports
- Writing competency
- Computer literacy
- Critical thinking ability
- The assistant is required to be adaptable with a strong ability for multitasking and working under pressure.
- Knowledge of the arts/cultural sector in South Africa is beneficial, as is an additional spoken official South African language.
- R7 000 cost to company.
- 12-month non-renewable contract. 80% position based at VANSA offices in Johannesburg.
- The candidate would ideally be able to start work on 1 July, this is however negotiable.
Send your CV, a detailed motivation letter and detailed reference letter to email@example.com by 4pm, Thursday 1 June 2017.
No late or incomplete applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will undergo an interview and a short skills test. VANSA reserves the right not to fill these posts.